Re: cephadm bootstraps cluster with bad CRUSH map(?)

> On May 20, 2024, at 2:24 PM, Matthew Vernon <mvernon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> On 20/05/2024 18:13, Anthony D'Atri wrote:
>
>> You do that with the CRUSH rule, not with osd_crush_chooseleaf_type.  Set that back to the default value of `1`.  This option is marked `dev` for a reason ;)
>
> OK [though not obviously at https://docs.ceph.com/en/reef/rados/configuration/pool-pg-config-ref/#confval-osd_crush_chooseleaf_type ]

Aye that description is pretty oblique.  I’d update it if I fully understood it.  But one might argue that if you don’t understand something, leave it alone ;)

>> but I think you’d also need to revert `osd_crush_chooseleaf_type` too.  Might be better to wipe and redeploy so you know that down the road when you add / replace hardware this behavior doesn’t resurface.
>
> Yep, I'm still at the destroy-and-recreate point here, trying to make sure I can do this repeatably.

>>> Yes.
>> You might want to set `db_slots` accordingly, by default I think it’ll be 1:1 which probably isn’t what you intend.
>
> Is there an easy way to check this? The docs suggested it would work, and vgdisplay on the vg that pvs tells me the nvme device is in shows 24 LVs...

If you create the OSDs and their DB/WAL devices show NVMe partitions then you’re good.  How many NVMe devices do you have on the HDD nodes?