Re: stretched cluster new pool and second pool with nvme

Hi,

whats the right way to add another pool?
create pool with 4/2 and use the rule for the stretched mode, finished?
the exsisting pools were automaticly set to 4/2 after "ceph mon enable_stretch_mode".

if that is what you require, then yes, it's as easy as that. Although I haven't played too much with the strech mode yet, you'll probably want to check the PG distribution after you created the pool. Maybe start with only a few PGs (4 or 8) and then inspect the distribution:

ceph pg ls-by-pool <new_pool>

Then verify if the PGs are properly distributed across both DCs.
Of course, there's also the crushtool [1] to test such changes before actually applying them:

- Get current crushmap (ceph osd getcrushmap -o crushmap.bin)
- Decompile it (crushtool -d crushmap.bin -o crushmap.txt)
- Add new crush rule
- Compile it (crushtool -c crushmap.txt -o crushmap.new)
- Test it (crushtool -i crushmap.new --test --rule <NEW_RULE> --num-rep 4 --show-mappings)

If you're satisfied with the mappings (also check if there are bad mappings with --show-bad-mappings) you can apply the new crushmap (ceph osd setcrushmap -i crushmap.new). Be careful when injecting a new crushmap!!!

i don't know, how to setup a second crush rule for the nvme class.
i thought, that i need to filter with 2 rules for the classes. is that correct?

If your device class is called "nvme", you can create a rule like this:

host01:~ # ceph osd crush rule create-replicated nvme-rule default host nvme

The second parameter "default" is the "root" of your crush tree. The third parameter is your failure domain. You can also create rules in the dashboard, of course.

Regards,
Eugen

[1] https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/man/8/crushtool/

Zitat von "ronny.lippold" <ceph@xxxxxxxxx>:

hi ... running against the wall, i need your help, again.

our test stretched cluster is running fine.
now i have 2 questions.

whats the right way to add another pool?
create pool with 4/2 and use the rule for the stretched mode, finished?
the exsisting pools were automaticly set to 4/2 after "ceph mon enable_stretch_mode".

the second question, we want to use ssd and nvme together.
so, we need to have a second pool for class nvme.

i don't know, how to setup a second crush rule for the nvme class.
i thought, that i need to filter with 2 rules for the classes. is that correct?

thanks for help,
ronny