Re: Upgraded to Quincy 17.2.7: some S3 buckets inaccessible

On Wed, Apr 3, 2024 at 3:09 PM Lorenz Bausch <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Casey,
>
> thank you so much for analysis! We tested the upgraded intensively, but
> the buckets in our test environment were probably too small to get
> dynamically resharded.
>
> > after upgrading to the Quincy release, rgw would
> > look at the wrong object names when trying to list those buckets.
> As we're currently running Quincy, do you think objects/bucket indexes
> might already be altered in a way which makes them also unusable for
> Reef?

for multisite resharding support, the bucket instance metadata now
stores an additional 'layout' structure which contains all of the
information necessary to locate its bucket index objects. on reshard,
the Red Hat pacific release would have stored that information with
the bucket. the upstream Reef release should be able to interpret that
layout data correctly

however, if the Quincy release overwrites that bucket instance
metadata (via an operation like PutBucketAcl, PutBucketPolicy, etc),
the corresponding layout information would be erased such that an
upgrade to Reef would not be able to find the real bucket index shard
objects