S3 Partial Reads from Erasure Pool

I am dealing with a cluster that is having terrible performance with partial reads from an erasure coded pool. Warp tests and s3bench tests result in acceptable performance but when the application hits the data, performance plummets. Can anyone clear this up for me, When radosgw gets a partial read does it have to assemble all the rados objects that make up the s3 object before returning the range? With a replicated poll i am seeing 6 to 7 GiB/s of read performance and only 1GiB/s of read from the erasure coded pool which leads me to believe that the replicated pool is returning just the rados objects for the partial s3 object and the erasure coded pool is not.