Re: Number of pgs

There are both pros and cons to having more PGs. Here are a couple of considerations:

Pros:
1) Better data distribution prior to balancing (and maybe after)
2) Fewer objects/data per PG
3) Lower per-PG lock contention

Cons:
1) Higher PG log memory usage until you hit the osd target unless you shorten the per-PG log length.*
2) More work for the mons
3) More work for the mgr per collection interval

* Counter-intuitively increasing the number of PGs in a replicated pool with simple objects may lower aggregate PG log memory consumption if there are other EC pools with complex objects being written to concurrently. This is due to the global limit on PG log entries. See: osd_target_pg_log_entries_per_osd

Mark