Re: OSDs not balanced

> I think the short answer is "because you have so wildly varying sizes
> both for drives and hosts".

Arguably OP's OSDs *are* balanced in that their PGs are roughly in line with their sizes, but indeed the size disparity is problematic in some ways.

Notably, the 500GB OSD should just be removed.  I think balancing doesn't account for WAL/DB/other overhead, so it won't be accurately accounted for and can't hold much data nyway.

This cluster shows evidence of reweight-by-utilization having been run, but only on two of the hosts.  If the balancer module is active, those override weights will confound it.