How to solve data fixity

Hi all!

In the context of a repository-type project, we need to address a situation where we cannot use periodic checks in Ceph (scrubbing) due to the project's nature. Instead, we need the ability to write a checksum into the metadata of the uploaded file via API. In this context, we are not concerned about individual file parts, but rather the file as a whole. Users will calculate the checksum and write it. Based on this hash, we should be able to trigger a check of the given files. We are aware that tools like s3cmd can write MD5 hashes to file metadata, but is there a more general approach? Does anyone have experience with this, or can you suggest a tool that can accomplish this?

Thx
Michal