Performance issues with writing files to Ceph via S3 API

Hello,

I have an issue at my company where we have an underperforming Ceph
instance.
The issue that we have is that sometimes writing files to Ceph via S3 API
(our only option) takes up to 40s, which is too long for us.
We are a bit limited on what we can do to investigate why it's performing
so badly, because we have a service provider in between, so getting to the
bottom of this really is not that easy.

That being said, the way we use the S3 APi (again, Ceph under the hood) is
by writing all files (multiple millions) to the root, so we don't use *no*
folder-like structure e.g. we write */<uuid>* instead of */this/that/<uuid>*
.

The question is:

Does anybody know whether Ceph has performance gains when you create a
folder structure vs when you don't?
Looking at Ceph's documentation I could not find such information.

Best regards,

*Renann Prado*