From: Torkil Svensgaard <torkil@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, January 12, 2024 10:17 AM
To: Frédéric Nass
Cc: ceph-users@xxxxxxx; Ruben Vestergaard
Subject:  Re: 3 DC with 4+5 EC not quite working

On 12-01-2024 09:35, Frédéric Nass wrote:

> Hello Torkil,

Hi Frédéric

> We're using the same ec scheme than yours with k=5 and m=4 over 3 DCs with the below rule:
>

> rule ec54 {
>          id 3
>          type erasure
>          min_size 3
>          max_size 9
>          step set_chooseleaf_tries 5
>          step set_choose_tries 100
>          step take default class hdd
>          step choose indep 0 type datacenter
>          step chooseleaf indep 3 type host
>          step emit
> }
>
> Works fine. The only difference I see with your EC rule is the fact that we set min_size and max_size but I doubt this has anything to do with your situation.

Great, thanks. I wonder if we might need to tweak the min_size. I think
I tried lowering it to no avail and then set it back to 5 after editing
the crush rule.

> Since the cluster still complains about "Pool cephfs.hdd.data has 1024 placement groups, should have 2048", did you run "ceph osd pool set cephfs.hdd.data pgp_num 2048" right after running "ceph osd pool set cephfs.hdd.data pg_num 2048"? [1]
>
> Might be that the pool still has 1024 PGs.

Hmm coming from RHCS we didn't do this as:

"
RHCS 4.x and 5.x does not require the pgp_num value to be set. This will
be done by ceph-mgr automatically. For RHCS 4.x and 5.x, only the pg_num
is required to be incremented for the necessary pools.
"

So I only did "ceph osd pool set cephfs.hdd.data pgp_num 2048" and let
the mgr handle the rest. I had a watch running to see how it went and
the pool was up to something like 1922 PGs when it got stuck.

As I read the documentation[1] this shouldn't get us stuck like we did,
but we would have to set the pgp_num eventually to get it to rebalance?

Mvh.

Torkil

[1]
https://docs.ceph.com/en/quincy/rados/operations/placement-groups/#setting-the-number-of-pgs