Re: Stuck in upgrade process to reef

Hi Marek,

I haven't looked through those upgrade logs yet but here are some comments regarding last OSD startup attempt.

First of answering your question

_init_alloc::NCB::restore_allocator() failed! Run Full Recovery from ONodes (might take a while)

Is it a mandatory part of fsck?

This is caused by previous non-graceful OSD process shutdown. BlueStore is unable to find up-to-date allocation map and recovers it from RocksDB. And since fsck is a read-only procedure the recovered allocmap is not saved - hence all the following BlueStore startups (within fsck or OSD init) cause another rebuild attempt. To avoid that you might want to run repair instead of fsck - this will persist up-to-date allocation map and avoid its rebuilding on the next startup. This will work till the next non-graceful shutdown only - hence unsuccessful OSD attempt might break the allocmap state again.

Secondly - looking at OSD startup log one can see that actual OSD log ends with that allocmap recovery as well:

2024-01-09T11:25:30.718449+01:00 osd1 ceph-osd[1734062]: bluestore(/var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph-1) _init_alloc::NCB::restore_allocator() failed! Run Full Recovery from ONodes (might take a while) ...

Subsequent log line indicating OSD daemon termination is from systemd:
2024-01-09T11:25:33.516258+01:00 osd1 systemd[1]: Stopping ceph-2c565e24-7850-47dc-a751-a6357cbbaf2a@osd.1.service - Ceph osd.1 for 2c565e24-7850-47dc-a751-a6357cbbaf2a...

And honestly these lines provide almost no clue why termination happened. No obvious OSD failures or something are shown. Perhaps containerized environment hides the details e.g. by cutting off OSD log's tail.
So you might want to proceed the investigation by running repair prior to starting the OSD as per above. This will result in no alloc map recovery and hopefully workaround the problem during startup - if the issue is caused by allocmap recovery.
Additionally you might want to increase debug_bluestore log level for osd.1 before starting it up to get more insight on what's happening.

Alternatively you might want to play with OSD log target settings to write OSD.1 log to some file rather than using system wide logging infra - hopefully this will be more helpful.

Thanks,
Igor