Re: Is there any way to merge an rbd image's full backup and a diff?

Hi Ilya,

2023年12月12日(火) 21:23 Ilya Dryomov <idryomov@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Not at the moment.  Mykola has an old work-in-progress PR which extends
> "rbd import-diff" command to make this possible [1].

I didn't know this PR. Thank you very much.I'll evaluate this PR later.

> Since you as
> a user expected "rbd merge-diff" to be able to this, I wonder if this
> functionality might be better placed under "rbd merge-diff"?  That way
> the operations on files would be separated from the operations on RBD
> images.

Yes, I think so too.

> For your backup system, couldn't you just merge the two oldest
> differentials with "rbd merge-diff" instead?  Instead of advancing the
> full export, you would be advancing the first differential -- it would
> represent a diff between the initial export and the "2 weeks" backup
> over time.

Yes, it's possible. It's one of a workaround I thought. Then the
backup data are as follows:

a. The full backup taken at least 14 days ago.
b. The latest 14 days backup data

In this case, I concern the effect if (a) becomes too old. However, it
might be a groundless fear.
I'll give it some more thought. Thank you again.

Best,
Satoru