From: Frank Schilder
Sent: Monday, January 9, 2023 9:14 AM
To: Dan van der Ster
Cc: ceph-users@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  increasing number of (deep) scrubs

Hi Dan,

thanks for your answer. I don't have a problem with increasing osd_max_scrubs (=1 at the moment) as such. I would simply prefer a somewhat finer grained way of controlling scrubbing than just doubling or tripling it right away.

Some more info. These 2 pools are data pools for a large FS. Unfortunately, we have a large percentage of small files, which is a pain for recovery and seemingly also for deep scrubbing. Our OSDs are about 25% used and I had to increase the warning interval already to 2 weeks. With all the warning grace parameters this means that we manage to deep scrub everything about every month. I need to plan for 75% utilisation and a 3 months period is a bit far on the risky side.

Our data is to a large percentage cold data. Client reads will not do the check for us, we need to combat bit-rot pro-actively.

The reasons I'm interested in parameters initiating more scrubs while also converting more scrubs into deep scrubs are, that

1) scrubs seem to complete very fast. I almost never catch a PG in state "scrubbing", I usually only see "deep scrubbing".

2) I suspect the low deep-scrub count is due to a low number of deep-scrubs scheduled and not due to conflicting per-OSD deep scrub reservations. With the OSD count we have and the distribution over 12 servers I would expect at least a peak of 50% OSDs being active in scrubbing instead of the 25% peak I'm seeing now. It ought to be possible to schedule more PGs for deep scrub than actually are.

3) Every OSD having only 1 deep scrub active seems to have no measurable impact on user IO. If I could just get more PGs scheduled with 1 deep scrub per OSD it would already help a lot. Once this is working, I can eventually increase osd_max_scrubs when the OSDs fill up. For now I would just like that (deep) scrub scheduling looks a bit harder and schedules more eligible PGs per time unit.

If we can get deep scrubbing up to an average of 42PGs completing per hour with keeping osd_max_scrubs=1 to maintain current IO impact, we should be able to complete a deep scrub with 75% full OSDs in about 30 days. This is the current tail-time with 25% utilisation. I believe currently a deep scrub of a PG in these pools takes 2-3 hours. Its just a gut feeling from some repair and deep-scrub commands, I would need to check logs for more precise info.

Increasing osd_max_scrubs would then be a further and not the only option to push for more deep scrubbing. My expectation would be that values of 2-3 are fine due to the increasingly higher percentage of cold data for which no interference with client IO will happen.

Hope that makes sense and there is a way beyond bumping osd_max_scrubs to increase the number of scheduled and executed deep scrubs.

Best regards,
Frank Schilder
AIT Risø Campus
Bygning 109, rum S14