How to replace a disk with minimal impact on performance

Hi guys!

Based on our observation of the impact of the balancer on the performance of the entire cluster, we have drawn conclusions that we would like to discuss with you.

- A newly created pool should be balanced before being handed over to the user. This, I believe, is quite evident.

- When replacing a disk, it is advisable to exchange it directly for a new one. As soon as the OSD replacement occurs, the balancer should be invoked to realign any improperly placed PGs during the disk outage and disk recovery. Perhaps an even better method is to pause recovery and backfilling before removing the disk, remove the disk itself, promptly add a new one, and then resume recovery and backfilling. It's essential to per
form all of this as quickly as possible (using a script).

Ad. We are using a community balancer developed by Jonas Jelton because the built-in one does not meet our requirements.

What are your thoughts on this?

Michal