Where is a simple getting started guide for a very basic cluster?

I'm pulling my hair trying to get a simple cluster going. I first tried
Gluster but I have an old system that can't handle the latest version, so I
resorted to Ceph. However, I can't get my cluster to work. I tried to find
tutorials but everything uses tools on top of Ceph, whereas I'm trying to
use it barebones. (I don't trust nfs or samba for this purpose)

The three systems I'm trying to cluster together have a variety of Linux
distros, and one of them is discontinued, so I can't use a lot of newer
stuff. I need to make do with the commands `ceph`, `ceph-mon`, and
`ceph-volume`. I do *not* have access to `ceph-disk` which I ran into a lot
online.

ChatGPT guided me up to a certain point before she started making stuff up,
so I need to start from scratch. I just need to share a directory (or
rather a block device in the case of Ceph) across these three systems that
already have a secure connection to one another. Can somebody please help
me out?

Thanks in advance