Re: [CEPH] Ceph multi nodes failed

Hi,

basically, with EC pools you usually have a min_size of k + 1 to prevent data loss. There was a thread about that just a few days ago on this list. So in your case your min_size is probably 9, which makes IO pause in case two chunks become unavailable. If your crush failure domain is host (seems like it is) and you have "only" 10 hosts I'd recommend to add a host if possible to be able to fully recover while one host is down. Otherwise the PGs stay degraded until the host comes back. So in your case your cluster can handle only one down host, e. g. for maintenance. If another host goes down (disk, network, whatever) you hit the min_size limit. Temporarily, you can set min_size = k but you should not risk anything and increase back to k + 1 after successful recovery. It's not possible to change the EC profile of a pool, you'd have to create a new pool and copy the data.

Check out the EC docs [1] to have some more details.

Regards,
Eugen

[1] https://docs.ceph.com/en/quincy/rados/operations/erasure-code/?highlight=k%2B1#erasure-coded-pool-recovery

Zitat von Nguyễn Hữu Khôi <nguyenhuukhoinw@xxxxxxxxx>:

Hello guys.

I see many docs and threads talking about osd failed. I have a question:
how many nodes in a cluster can be failed.

I am using ec 8 + 2(10 osd nodes) and when I shutdown 2 nodes then my
cluster crashes, It cannot write anymore.

Thank you. Regards

Nguyen Huu Khoi