Re: [CEPH] OSD Memory Usage

Den tors 16 nov. 2023 kl 08:43 skrev Nguyễn Hữu Khôi
<nguyenhuukhoinw@xxxxxxxxx>:

> Hello,
> Yes, I see it does not  exceed RSS but I see in "ceph orch ps". it is over
> target.  Does Mem Use include cache, I am right?
>
> NAME                    HOST      PORTS        STATUS         REFRESHED
>  AGE  MEM USE  MEM LIM  VERSION    IMAGE ID      CONTAINER ID
>
> osd.7                   sg-osd01               running (3d)      8m ago
> 4w    4231M    4096M  17.2.6     90a2664234e1  922185643cb8

> btw as you said, I feel this value does not have much impact because if we
> set 1 or 4GB. It still can consume much memory when they need more memory,

Don't forget that the tuneable part is only one type of memory
consumption and not ALL parts of the places where and OSD needs ram,
so the absolutely mandatory ram consumption is not covered by the
settings, only the "optional" part, which goes to caches and other
performance improving usages.
During recovery and startup and other events, the required usage can
and will spike, regardless of your memory usage settings.

If recovery suddenly needs 20G, it would not stop recovery because you
set the limit to say, max 19G ram, it would try to use 20G to recover,
then go back to normal low usage and have as much as possible of the
given 19G as caches again.