CephFS mirror very slow (maybe for small files?)

Hi all.
I have successfully configured an operational mirror between 2 sites for Ceph FS. The mirroring is running but the speed of data transfer is varying a lot over time (200KB/s – 120MB/s). The network infrastructure between the two Ceph clusters is reliable and should not be the cause of this speed variation. The FS in question, has a lot of small files in it and I suspect this is the cause of the variability – ie, the transfer of many small files will be more impacted by greater site-site latency.
If this suspicion is true, what options do I have to improve the overall throughput?

  *   Is it possible to parallelise or “chunk” the transfers with some options to the mirror daemon?
  *   Would the use of multiple snapshot mirror points help?
     *   Note that I am currently forced to use only a single point ( ceph fs snapshot mirror add <fs_name> <path> ) because the part of the FS in use is managed by Openstack Manila which created a subvolume. Requests to add mirrors for sub-directories are therefore denied.
Any suggestions for how I can improve this throughput would be most welcome.
Currrently I am running Pacific (16.2.10) on the sender and Quincy (17.2.6) on the target.

Stuart Cornell
Cloud Development Director
http://graphcore.ai

** We have updated our privacy policy, which contains important information about how we collect and process your personal data. To read the policy, please click here<http://www.graphcore.ai/privacy> **

This email and its attachments are intended solely for the addressed recipients and may contain confidential or legally privileged information.
If you are not the intended recipient you must not copy, distribute or disseminate this email in any way; to do so may be unlawful.

Any personal data/special category personal data herein are processed in accordance with UK data protection legislation.
All associated feasible security measures are in place. Further details are available from the Privacy Notice on the website and/or from the Company.

Graphcore Limited (registered in England and Wales with registration number 10185006) is registered at 107 Cheapside, London, UK, EC2V 6DN.
This message was scanned for viruses upon transmission. However Graphcore accepts no liability for any such transmission.