Re: ceph fs (meta) data inconsistent

Hi Xiubo,

I will try to answer questions from all your 3 e-mails here together with some new information we have.

New: The problem occurs in newer python versions when using the shutil.copy function. There is also a function shutil.copy2 for which the problem does not show up. Copy2 behaves a bit like "cp -p" while copy is like "cp". The only code difference (linux) between these 2 functions is that copy calls copyfile+copymode while copy2 calls copyfile+copystat. For now we asked our users to use copy2 to avoid the issue.

The copyfile function calls _fastcopy_sendfile on linux, which in turn calls os.sendfile, which seems to be part of libc:

#include <sys/sendfile.h>
ssize_t sendfile(int out_fd, int in_fd, off_t *offset, size_t count);

I'm wondering if using this function requires explicit meta-data updates or should be safe on ceph-fs. I'm also not sure if a user-space client even supports this function (seems to be meaningless). Should this function be safe to use on ceph kclient?

Answers to questions:

> BTW, have you test the ceph-fuse with the same test ? Is also the same ?
I don't have fuse clients available, so can't test right now.

> Have you tried other ceph version ?
We are in the process of deploying a new test cluster, the old one is scrapped already. I can't test this at the moment.

> It looks like the cap update request was dropped to the ground in MDS.
> [...]
> If you can reproduce it, then please provide the mds logs by setting:
> [...]
I can do a test with MDS logs on high level. Before I do that, looking at the python findings above, is this something that should work on ceph or is it a python issue?

Thanks for your help!