Re: Is it safe to add different OS but same ceph version to the existing cluster?

Hi,

I've added ubuntu 20.04 nodes to my ceph octopus 15.2.17 baremetal deployed cluster next to the centos 8 nodes and I see something interesting regarding the disk usage, it is higher on ubuntu than on centos, however the cpu usage is lower (on this picture you can see 4 nodes, each column is 1 node, the last column is the ubuntu): https://i.ibb.co/Tk5Srk6/image-2023-09-04-09-55-52-311.png

Could this be because of the missing HPC tuned profile on ubuntu 20.04?
On ubuntu 20.04 there isn't any HPC tuned profile, I've used the latency-performance one which is the base of the HPC:

This is the latency performance:

[main]
summary=Optimize for deterministic performance at the cost of increased power consumption
[cpu]
force_latency=1
governor=performance
energy_perf_bias=performance
min_perf_pct=100
[sysctl]
kernel.sched_min_granularity_ns=10000000
vm.dirty_ratio=10
vm.dirty_background_ratio=3
vm.swappiness=10
kernel.sched_migration_cost_ns=5000000

The hpc tuned profile has these additional values on centos and on ubuntu 22.04:
[main]
summary=Optimize for HPC compute workloads
description=Configures virtual memory, CPU governors, and network settings for HPC compute workloads.
include=latency-performance
[vm]
transparent_hugepages=always
[disk]
readahead=>4096
[sysctl]
vm.hugepages_treat_as_movable=0
vm.min_free_kbytes=135168
vm.zone_reclaim_mode=1
kernel.numa_balancing=0
net.core.busy_read=50
net.core.busy_poll=50
net.ipv4.tcp_fastopen=3

If someone is very god with these kernel parameter values, do you see something that might be related to the high disk utilization?

Thank you
[https://i.ibb.co/Tk5Srk6/image-2023-09-04-09-55-52-311.png]