Re: Ceph Quincy and liburing.so.2 on Rocky Linux 9

Konstantin Shalygin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In most cases the 'Alternative' distro like Alma or Rocky have outdated versions
> of packages, if we compared it with CentOS Stream 8 or CentOS Stream 9. For example is a
> golang package, on c8s is a 1.20 version on Alma still 1.19
>
> You can try to use c8s/c9s or try to contribute to your distro to resolve dependency
> issues

By definition, the stable version of anything is going to have "outdated versions of packages," so that's not really what's going on here.

You did, unintentionally, give me the clue I needed, though. I accessed the Ceph repos from Rocky's Extras repo, which includes centos-release-ceph-quincy

centos-release-ceph-pacific.noarch                            1.0-2.el9                          CEC_Rocky_Linux_9_Rocky_92_extras
centos-release-ceph-quincy.noarch                             1.0-2.el9                          CEC_Rocky_Linux_9_Rocky_92_extras
centos-release-cloud.noarch                                   1-1.el9                            CEC_Rocky_Linux_9_Rocky_92_extras

Which is pointing to 9-stream. (I do remember seeing "9s" in the repo names, but I didn't connect it with Stream, since I don't do Stream in production and, honestly, I don't have enough time at work to do Stream in test, so...)

>From /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Ceph-Quincy.repo:
metalink=https://mirrors.centos.org/metalink?repo=centos-storage-sig-ceph-quincy-9-stream&arch=$basearch

Which is why I'm getting different dependencies. THAT I can take to the Rocky folks to get sorted. I can see where that would cause confusion, as it did in my case. When I originally installed Ceph, I was using RHEL, not Rocky and I didn't use (or have?) the Extras repo. I copied the repo over and edited it to point to Ceph Reef EL9, which installed fine -- and confused me further, but makes sense now since it wasn't for Stream.

I'll roll my own repo files and not use the centos-release-ceph-* from Extras. Hopefully, this saves someone else a bit of grief later!

Thanks!