Re: Upgrading nautilus / centos7 to octopus / ubuntu 20.04. - Suggestions and hints?

Hi Götz,

We’ve done a similar process which involves going from starting at CentOS 7 Nautilus and upgrading to Rocky 8/Ubuntu 20.04 Octopus+.

What we do is start on CentOS 7 Nautilus we upgrade to Octopus on CentOS 7 (we’ve built python packages and have them on our repo to satisfy some ceph-mgr things and such with octopus on centos 7)

>From here we have a process to migrate the node from CentOS 7 to Rocky 8 preserving the OS and stuff, but you could also just reinstall the OS and reinstall ceph packages/config files if need be.

Once on Rocky 8 and Octopus we then upgrade the ceph versions further.

The order of the upgrades would be like this:

CentOS 7 / Nautilus

CentOS 7 / Octopus

Rocky 8 / Octopus

Ubuntu 20 / Octopus

We aren’t changing from CentOS right to Ubuntu OS but process is similar enough.

The one time we did switch to Ubuntu we just did the same process then once on the latest ceph version just reinstalled a node at a time from Rocky to Ubuntu. Probably are fine to go right from CentOS 7 to Ubuntu but we figured it’d be more reliable to go from el8 rpms to debs than el7 rpms to debs.

I would say make the priority matching ceph versions if possible, and then OS. This is what has worked for us. Other people may have different experiences however.

In your case, your b choice is the closest to what we would do so I would say that should be the safest.

Overall your a and b is kind of a mix of what we do for our upgrades.

Regards,

Bailey