Re: Adding datacenter level to CRUSH tree causes rebalancing

Hi Niklas,

As I said, ceph placement is based on more than fulfilling the failure domain constraint. This is a core feature in ceph design. There is no reason for a rebalancing on a cluster with a few hundreds OSDs to last a month. Just before 17 you have to adjust the max backfills parameter whose default is 1, a very conservative value. Using 2 should already reduce to rebalancing to a few days. But my experience shows that if it an option, upgrading to quincy first may be a better option due to to the autotuning of the number of backfills based on the real load of the cluster.

If your cluster is using cephadm, upgrading to quincy is very straightforward and should be complete I. A couple of hours for the cluster size I mentioned.

Cheers,

Michel
Sent from my mobile