From: Ilya Dryomov <idryomov@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, July 19, 2023 3:16:20 PM
To: Engelmann Florian
Cc: ceph-users@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ceph-users] RBD image QoS rbd_qos_write_bps_limit and rbd_qos_bps_limit and mkfs performance

On Wed, Jul 19, 2023 at 11:01 AM Engelmann Florian
<florian.engelmann@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I noticed an incredible high performance drop with mkfs.ext4 (as well as mkfs.xfs) when setting (almost) "any" value for rbd_qos_write_bps_limit (or rbd_qos_bps_limit).
>
> Baseline: 4TB rbd volume  rbd_qos_write_bps_limit = 0
> mkfs.ext4:
> real    0m6.688s
> user    0m0.000s
> sys     0m0.006s
>
> 50GB/s: 4TB rbd volume  rbd_qos_write_bps_limit = 53687091200
> mkfs.ext4:
> real    1m22.217s
> user    0m0.009s
> sys     0m0.000s
>
> 5GB/s: 4TB rbd volume  rbd_qos_write_bps_limit = 5368709120
> mkfs.ext4:
> real    13m39.770s
> user    0m0.008s
> sys     0m0.034s
>
> 500MB/s: 4TB rbd volume  rbd_qos_write_bps_limit = 524288000
> mkfs.ext4:
> test still runing... I can provide the result if needed.
>
> The tests are running on a client vm (Ubuntu 22.04) using Qemu/libvirt.
>
> Using the same values with Qemu/libvirt QoS does not affect mkfs performance.
> https://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#block-i-o-tuning
>
> Ceph Version: 16.2.11
> Qemu: 6.2.0
> Libvirt: 8.0.0
> Kernel (hypervisor host): 5.19.0-35-generic
> librbd1 (hypervisor host): 17.2.5
>
> Could anyone pls confirm and explain what's going on?

Hi Florian,

RBD QoS write limits apply to all write-like operations, including
discards.  By default, both mkfs.ext4 and mkfs.xfs attempt to discard
the entire partition/device and librbd QoS machinery treats that as 4TB
worth of writes.

RBD images are thin-provisioned, so if you are creating a filesystem on
a freshly created image, you can skip discarding with "-E nodiscard" for
mkfs.ext4 or "-K" for mkfs.xfs.

Alternatively, you can waive QoS limits for discards (or even an
arbitrary combination of operations) by setting rbd_qos_exclude_ops
option [1] appropriately.

[1] https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/rbd/rbd-config-ref/#confval-rbd_qos_exclude_ops

Thanks,

                Ilya