Re: quincy 17.2.6 - write performance continuously slowing down until OSD restart needed

Greg,

You are correct - the timeout was used during debug to make sure the fast shutdown is indeed fast, but even if it completed after that timeout everything should be perfectly fine.

The timeout was set to 15 seconds which is more than enough to complete shutdown on a valid system (in reality we only need 1-2 seconds).

We can simply remove the assert (or maybe increase the timeout from 15s to 30s), but that won't explain what is the we did so long during shutdown.
I suggest analyzing the shutdown process to find the root cause (which might be related to the overall system slowdown).

The OP describes a 10x slowdown in writes which might have been translated to a 10X time during fast-shutdown from 2 seconds to 20 seconds (and so exceeding the 15 second timeout).
Other possibility is that the system was running with extremely high log level which is something I can address in the code by checking the log-level before asserting