Re: CephFS snapshots: impact of moving data

Hi Mathias,

Provided that both subdirs are within the same snap context (subdirs below
where the .snap is created), I would assume that in the mv case, the space
usage is not doubled: the snapshots point at the same inode and it is just
linked at different places in the filesystem.

However, if your cluster and livelihood depends on this being true, I
suggest making a small test in a tiny empty cephfs, listing the rados pools
before and after mv and snapshot operations to find out exactly which data
objects are created.

Cheers, Dan

Clyso GmbH | Ceph Support and Consulting | https://www.clyso.com