Re: RBD with PWL cache shows poor performance compared to cache device

On 7/6/23 06:02, Matthew Booth wrote:
On Wed, 5 Jul 2023 at 15:18, Mark Nelson <mark.nelson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm sort of amazed that it gave you symbols without the debuginfo
packages installed.  I'll need to figure out a way to prevent that.
Having said that, your new traces look more accurate to me.  The thing
that sticks out to me is the (slight?) amount of contention on the PWL
m_lock in dispatch_deferred_writes, update_root_scheduled_ops,
append_ops, append_sync_point(), etc.

I don't know if the contention around the m_lock is enough to cause an
increase in 99% tail latency from 1.4ms to 5.2ms, but it's the first
thing that jumps out at me.  There appears to be a large number of
threads (each tp_pwl thread, the io_context_pool threads, the qemu
thread, and the bstore_aio thread) that all appear to have potential to
contend on that lock.  You could try dropping the number of tp_pwl
threads from 4 to 1 and see if that changes anything.
Will do. Any idea how to do that? I don't see an obvious rbd config option.

Thanks for looking into this,
Matt

you thanked me too soon...it appears to be hard-coded in, so you'll have to do a custom build. :D

https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/main/src/librbd/cache/pwl/AbstractWriteLog.cc#L55-L56

Mark

--
Best Regards,
Mark Nelson

Clyso GmbH
p: +49 89 21552391 12
a: Loristraße 8 | 80335 München | Germany
w: https://clyso.com | e: mark.nelson@xxxxxxxxx

We are hiring: https://www.clyso.com/jobs/