Re: OpenStack (cinder) volumes retyping on Ceph back-end

Hello,
thank you for the confirmation.
I reported the problem on the openstack-discuss mailing.

Thanks,
Andrea

Il 20/06/23 10:15, Eugen Block ha scritto:
I can confirm, in a virtual test openstack environment (Wallaby) with ceph quincy I did a retype of an attached volume (root disk of a VM). Retyping works, the volume is copied to the other back end pool, but the IO is still going to the old pool/image although they already have been removed. This was visible in the output of "rbd perf image iotop". And now I also understand the reconfiguration part, the xml definition still contains the old pool/image information so a reboot of the VM fails. I'd say this is rather an openstack (cinder) issue than a ceph issue. You should report this in the openstack-discuss mailing list or create a bug report on launchpad. If you want I can do that as well.
I will do some more testing to have more details.

Thanks,
Eugen

Zitat von Eugen Block <eblock@xxxxxx>:

Hi,

I don't quite understand the issue yet, maybe you can clarify.

If I perform a "change volume type" from OpenStack on volumes attached to the VMs the system successfully migrates the volume from the source pool to the destination pool and at the end of the process the volume is visible in the new pool and is removed from the old pool.

Are these volumes root disks or just additional volumes? But apparently, the retype works.

The problem encountered is that when reconfiguring the VM, to specify the new pool associated with the volumes (performed through a resize of the VM, I haven't found any other method to change the information on the nova/cinder db automatically.

If the retype already works then what is your goal by "reconfiguring the VM"? What information is wrong in the DB? This part needs some clarification for me. Can you give some examples?

The VM after the retype continues to work perfectly in RW but the "new" volume created in the new pool is not used to write data and consequently when the VM is shut down all the changes are lost.

Just wondering, did you shut down the VM before retyping the volume? I'll try to reproduce this in a test cluster.

Regards,
Eugen

Zitat von andrea.martra@xxxxxxxx:

Hello,
I configured different back-end storage on OpenStack (Yoga release) and using Ceph (ceph version 17.2.4) with different pools (volumes, cloud-basic, shared-hosting-os, shared-hosting-homes,...) for RBD application. I created different volume types towards each of the backends and everything works perfectly. If I perform a "change volume type" from OpenStack on volumes attached to the VMs the system successfully migrates the volume from the source pool to the destination pool and at the end of the process the volume is visible in the new pool and is removed from the old pool. The problem encountered is that when reconfiguring the VM, to specify the new pool associated with the volumes (performed through a resize of the VM, I haven't found any other method to change the information on the nova/cinder db automatically. I also did some tests shut-off of the VM and modification of the xml through virsh edit and startup the VM) the volume presented to the VM is exactly the version and content on the retype date of the volume itself. All data written and modified after the retype is lost. The VM after the retype continues to work perfectly in RW but the "new" volume created in the new pool is not used to write data and consequently when the VM is shut down all the changes are lost. Do you have any idea how to carry out a check and possibly how to proceed in order not to lose the data of the vm of which I have retyped the volume?
The data is written somewhere because the VMs work perfectly.
Thank you

Andrea Martra
Senior Manager
+39 393 9048451

Open Technologies Sas
Via Michele Buniva, 26 - 10064 Pinerolo (TO)
Web:http://www.oscct.it

** Open Source Cloud Computing Technologies **