Removing the encryption: (essentially decrypt) encrypted RGW objects

Hello Users,
We've a big cluster (Quincy) with almost 1.7 billion RGW objects, and we've
enabled SSE on as per
https://docs.ceph.com/en/quincy/radosgw/encryption/#automatic-encryption-for-testing-only
(yes, we've chosen this insecure method to store the key)
We're now in the process of implementing RGW multisite, but stuck due to
https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/46062 and list at
https://lists.ceph.io/hyperkitty/list/ceph-users@xxxxxxx/thread/PQW66JJ5DCRTH5XFGTRESF3XXTOSIWFF/#43RHLUVFYNSDLZPXXPZSSXEDX34KWGJX

Was wondering if there is a way to decrypt the objects in-place with the
applied symmetric key. I tried to remove
the rgw_crypt_default_encryption_key from the mon configuration database
(on a test cluster), but as expected, RGW daemons throw 500 server errors
as it can not work on encrypted objects.

There is a PR being worked on about introducing the command option at
https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/51842 but it appears it takes some time
to be merged.

Cheers,
Jayanth Reddy