[rgw] Multi-zone per storage cluster

Hi folks,

For multi-site environment, it seems that the common practice is to have one rgw zone backed by one storage cluster. However, after gaining some experience with such a setup, it appears to me that it is possible to have multiple zones with the same storage cluster. The first evidence is that when configuring the multi-site setup, the default zone "default" is still there and it needs a separate step to remove. It seems to me that there are 2 zones co-existing. The second evidence is that I can do "radosgw-admin zone create" multiple times at the same cluster with different zone names and make them all join the same zonegroup, although only one of them is the default. So, is it true that by design, we can have multiple zones per cluster? If so, is it a by-product of the design or a feature? Are there any such use cases in production?

Thanks a lot
Yixin