Re: Pacific - MDS behind on trimming

Hi Emmanuel,

In my experience MDS getting behind on trimming normally happens for
one of two reasons. Either your client workload is simply too
expensive for your metadata pool OSDs to keep up (and btw some ops are
known to be quite expensive such as setting xattrs or deleting files).
Or I've seen this during massive exports of subtrees between
multi-active MDS.

If you're using a single active MDS, you can exclude the 2nd case.

So if it's the former, then it would be useful to know exactly how
many log segments your MDS is accumulating.. is it going in short
bursts then coming back to normal? Or is it stuck at a very high
value?
Injecting mds_log_max_segments=400000 is indeed a very large unusual
amount -- you definitely don't want to leave it like this long term.
(And silencing the warning for bursty client IO is better achieved by
increasing the mds_log_warn_factor e.g. to 5 or 10.)

Cheers, Dan

Clyso GmbH | https://www.clyso.com