Re: Ceph OSDs suddenly use public network for heardbeat_check

Hi,
OSDs don't just communicate with each other but especially with MONs, too. They also check the OSD status (for example OSDs are marked out after 10 minutes if the MONs haven't heard from the OSDs during the mon_osd_down_out_interval), so your /etc/hosts should definitely contain the public IPs. Check out the docs [1] for more information about the mon-osd interaction.

Regards,
Eugen

[1] https://docs.ceph.com/en/quincy/rados/configuration/mon-osd-interaction/

Zitat von "Lee, H. (Hurng-Chun)" <hurng-chun.lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

On Wed, 2023-05-17 at 17:23 +0000, Marc wrote:

> In fact, when we start up the cluster, we don't have DNS available
> resolve the IP addresses, and for a short while, all OSDs are
> located
> in a new host called "localhost.localdomain".  At that point, I
> fixed
> it by setting the static hostname using `hostnamectl set  -hostname
> xxx`.

why not put values in /etc/hosts (also from the other hosts)

Thanks for the suggestion.  Indeed, I thought about it; but I am not
sure whether I should put the cluster-network IPs or the public-network
IPs in the /etc/hosts file.

My understanding is that all communications between OSDs should happen
within the cluster network, am I right that I should put the cluster-
network IPs in /etc/hosts?

Cheers, Hong