Re: Bucket-level redirect_zone

Hi Yixin,

I support experimentation for sure, but if we want to consider a feature
for inclusion, we need design proposal(s) and review, of course.  If you're
interested in feedback on your current ideas, you could consider coming to
the "refactoring" meeting on a Wednesday.  I think these ideas would be
interesting to discuss, maybe it would reduce time to develop.

Matt

On Tue, May 16, 2023 at 5:20 PM Yixin Jin <yjin77@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I created a feature request ticket to call for bucket-level redirect_zone (
> https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/61199), which is basically an extension
> from zone-level redirect_zone. I found it helpful in realizing CopyObject
> with (x-copy-source) in multisite environments where bucket content don't
> exist in all zones. This feature is similar to what Matt Benjamin suggested
> about the concept of "bucket residence".
>
> In my own prototyping affect, redirecting feature at bucket level is
> fairly straightforward. Making use of it with CopyObject is trickier
> because I haven't found a good way to get the source object policy when
> RGWCopyObj::verify_permission() is called. Anyway, I will continue to
> explore this idea and hope to get more support of it.
>
> Thanks,
> Yixin

Matt Benjamin
Red Hat, Inc.