Re: [EXTERNAL] [Pacific] ceph orch device ls do not returns any HDD

As you've already seem to have figured out, "ceph orch device ls" is
populated with the results from "ceph-volume inventory". My best guess to
try and debug this would be to manually run "cephadm ceph-volume --
inventory" (the same as "cephadm ceph-volume inventory", I just like to
separate the ceph-volume command from cephadm itself with the " -- ") and
then check /var/log/ceph/<fsid>/ceph-volume.log from when you ran the
command onward to try and see why it isn't seeing your devices. For example
I can see a line  like

[2023-05-15 19:11:58,048][ceph_volume.main][INFO  ] Running command:
ceph-volume  inventory

in there. Then if I look onward from there I can see it ran things like

lsblk -P -o
NAME,KNAME,PKNAME,MAJ:MIN,FSTYPE,MOUNTPOINT,LABEL,UUID,RO,RM,MODEL,SIZE,STATE,OWNER,GROUP,MODE,ALIGNMENT,PHY-SEC,LOG-SEC,ROTA,SCHED,TYPE,DISC-ALN,DISC-GRAN,DISC-MAX,DISC-ZERO,PKNAME,PARTLABEL

as part of getting my device list. So if I was having issues I would try
running that directly and see what I got. Will note that ceph-volume on
certain more recent versions (not sure about octopus) runs commands through
nsenter, so you'd have to look past that part in the log lines to the
underlying command being used, typically something with lsblk, blkid,
udevadm, lvs, or pvs.

Also, if you want to see if it's an issue with a certain version of
ceph-volume, you can use different versions by passing the image flag to
cephadm. E.g.

cephadm --image quay.io/ceph/ceph:v17.2.6 ceph-volume -- inventory

would use the 17.2.6 version of ceph-volume for the inventory. It works by
running ceph-volume through the container, so you don't have to have to
worry about installing different packages to try them and it should pull
the container image on its own if it isn't on the machine already (but note
that means the command will take longer as it pulls the image the first
time).