Re: Octopus on Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS with kernel 5

On Thu, May 11, 2023 at 7:13 AM Szabo, Istvan (Agoda)
<Istvan.Szabo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I can answer my question, even in the official ubuntu repo they are using by default the octopus version so for sure it works with kernel 5.
>
> https://packages.ubuntu.com/focal/allpackages

Hi Istvan,

Note that on https://docs.ceph.com/en/octopus/start/os-recommendations/
it starts with:

> If you are using the kernel client to map RBD block devices or mount CephFS,
> the general advice is to use a “stable” or “longterm maintenance” kernel
> series provided by either http://kernel.org or your Linux distribution on any
> client hosts.

The recommendation for 4.x kernels follows that just as a precaution
against folks opting to stick to something older.  If your distribution
provides 5.x or 6.x stable kernels, by all means use them!

A word of caution though: Octopus was EOLed last year.  Please consider
upgrading your cluster to a supported release -- preferably Quincy since
Pacific is scheduled to go EOL sometime this year too.

Thanks,

                Ilya