Re: client isn't responding to mclientcaps(revoke), pending pAsLsXsFsc issued pAsLsXsFsc

Dear Xiubo,

both issues will cause problems, the one reported in the subject (https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/57244) and the potential follow-up on MDS restart (https://lists.ceph.io/hyperkitty/list/ceph-users@xxxxxxx/thread/LYY7TBK63XPR6X6TD7372I2YEPJO2L6F). Either one will cause compute jobs on our HPC cluster to hang and users will need to run the jobs again. Our queues are full, so not very popular to loose your spot.

The process in D-state is a user process. Interestingly it is often possible to kill it despite the D-state (if one can find the process) and the stuck recall gets resolved. If I restart the MDS, the stuck process might continue working, but we run a significant risk of other processed getting stuck due to the libceph/MDS wrong peer issue. We actually have these kind of messages

[Mon Mar  6 12:56:46 2023] libceph: mds1 192.168.32.87:6801 wrong peer at address
[Mon Mar  6 13:05:18 2023] libceph: wrong peer, want 192.168.32.87:6801/-223958753, got
192.168.32.87:6801/-1572619386

all over the HPC cluster and each of them means that some files/dirs are inaccessible on the compute node and jobs either died or are/got stuck there. Every MDS restart bears the risk of such events happening and with many nodes this probability approaches 1 - every time we restart an MDS jobs get stuck.

I have a reproducer for an instance of https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/57244. Unfortunately, this is a big one that I would need to pack into a container. I was not able to reduce it to something small, it seems to depend on a very specific combination of codes with certain internal latencies between threads that trigger a race.

It sounds like you have a patch for https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/57244 although its not linked from the tracker item.

Best regards,
Frank Schilder
AIT Risø Campus