osd pause

Hi,

FYI - This might be pedantic, but there does not seem to be any difference
between using these two sets of commands:

   - ceph osd pause / ceph osd unpause
   - ceph osd set pause / ceph osd unset pause

I can see that they both set/unset the pauserd,pausewr flags, but since
they don't report anything else, I assume they do exactly the same thing.

I also assumed it only stopped reads/writes to the OSDs, but I found
this openattic
post
<https://openattic.org/posts/how-to-do-a-ceph-cluster-maintenanceshutdown/>
which
had this comment:
Pausing the cluster means that you can't see when OSDs come back up again
and no map update will happen.

I didn't know that but it seems pretty useful knowing.

Pausing is mentioned when posts talking about shutting down Ceph cluster
for maintenance but often it's added as optional.

Does anyone know what is the original intended purpose of pausing and
when/why would you use it?

Also - can I assume that pause will complete any current write/read ops on
OSDs before pausing?

Thanks,
Tom