Balancing Reads in Ceph

Hi.
I am currently using Ceph for replicated storage to store many objects across 5 nodes with 3x replication.
When I generate ~1000 read requests to a single object, they all get serviced by the same primary OSD. I would like to balance the reads across the replicas.
So I use the following:

    auto read_op = rados_create_read_op();
    rados_read_op_read(read_op, offset, outSize, buffer, &bytes_read, &prval);
    err = rados_read_op_operate(read_op, pool->ioctx, keyName.c_str(), LIBRADOS_OPERATION_BALANCE_READS);

However, this does not seem to balance the reads across replicas. I do not see what I am doing wrong in the above code.
Could you please guide me on this?

ceph-mon and ceph-osd are run on Ubuntu 22.04 installed via apt-get update ceph ceph-mds ceph-volume

If I should ask this question somewhere else, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks and regards,
Alan.
The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in Scotland, with registration number SC005336. Is e buidheann carthannais a th' ann an Oilthigh Dhùn Èideann, clàraichte an Alba, àireamh clàraidh SC005336.