Re: Memory leak in MGR after upgrading to pacific.

To follow up on this issue,  I saw the additional comments on https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/59580 regarding mgr caps. By setting the mgr user caps back to the default, I was able to reduce the memory leak from several 100MB/h to just a few MB/hr.

As the other commenter had posted, in order for zabbix to access OSD data via RESTful, the mgr caps were set to:      ceph auth caps mgr.controller04.lvhgea mon 'allow *' osd 'allow *' mds 'allow *'

Gary

On 2023-04-27 08:38, Gary Molenkamp wrote:
Good morning,

After upgrading from Octopus (15.2.17) to Pacific (16.2.12) two days ago, I'm noticing that the MGR daemons keep failing over to standby and then back every 24hrs.   Watching the output of 'ceph orch ps' I can see that the memory consumption of the mgr is steadily growing until it becomes unresponsive.

When the mgr becomes unresponsive, tasks such as RESTful calls start to fail, and the standby eventually takes over after ~20 minutes. I've included a log of memory consumption (in 10 minute intervals) at the end of this message. While the cluster recovers during this issue, the loss of usage data during the outage, and the fact its occurring is problematic.  Any assistance would be appreciated.

Note, this is a cluster that has been upgraded from an original jewel based ceph using filestore, through bluestore conversion, container conversion, and now to Pacific.    The data below shows memory use with three mgr modules enabled:  cephadm, restful, iostat.   By disabling iostat, I can reduce the rate of memory consumption increasing to about 200MB/hr.

Thanks
Gary.

--
Gary Molenkamp			Science Technology Services
Systems Administrator		University of Western Ontario