Re: backing up CephFS

Angelo Höngens schreef op 2023-04-30 15:03:
How do you guys backup CephFS? (if at all?)

I'm building 2 ceph clusters, a primary one and a backup one, and I'm
looking into CephFS as the primary store for research files. CephFS
mirroring seems a very fast and efficient way to copy data to the
backup location, and it has the benefit of the files on the backup
location being fully in a ready-to-use state instead of some binary
proprietary archive.

But I am wondering how to do 'ransomware protection' in this setup. I
can't believe I'm the only one that wants to secure my data ;)

I'm reading up on snapshots and mirroring, and that's great to protect
from user error. I could schedule snapshots on the primary cluster,
and they would automatically get synced to the backup cluster.

But a user can still delete all snapshots on the source side, right?

And you need to create a ceph user on the backup cluster, and import
that on the primary cluster. That means that if a hacker has those
credentials, he could also delete the data on the backup cluster? Or
is there some 'append-only' mode for immutability?

Another option I'm looking into is restic. Restic looks like a cool
tool, but it does not support s3 object locks yet. See the discussion
here [1]. I should be able to get immutability working with the
restic-rest backend according to the developer. But I have my worries
that running restic to sync up an 800TB filesystem with millions of
files will be.. worrysome ;) Anyone using restic in production?

Thanks again for your input!

Among others, we mount CephFS's root directory on a machine, and back up that mount using Borg. In our experience, Borg is faster than Restic. I actually open-sourced the library we wrote for Borg yesterday, see: https://github.com/CyberfusionNL/python3-cyberfusion-borg-support

Angelo.

[1] https://github.com/restic/restic/issues/3195

With kind regards,

William Edwards