Re: cephfs - max snapshot limit?

Hi sur5r,

Am 4/27/23 um 10:33 schrieb Jakob Haufe:
> On Thu, 27 Apr 2023 09:07:10 +0200
> Tobias Hachmer <t.hachmer@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> But we observed that max 50 snapshot are preserved. If a new snapshot is
>> created the oldest 51st is deleted.
>>
>> Is there a limit for maximum cephfs snapshots or maybe this is a bug?
>
> I've been wondering the same thing for about 6 months now and found the
> reason just yesterday.
>
> The snap-schedule mgr module has a hard limit on how many snapshots it
> preserves, see [1]. It's even documented at [2] in section
> "Limitations" near the end of the page.
>
> The commit[3] implementing this does not only not explain the reason
> for the number at all, it doesn't even mention the fact it implements
> this.

Thanks. I've red the documentation, but it's not clear enough. I thought "the retention list will be shortened to the newest 50 snapshots" will just truncate the list and not delete the snapshots, effectively.

So as you stated the max. number of snapshots is currently a hard limit.

Can anyone clarify the reasons for this? If there's a big reason to hard limit this it would be great to schedule snapshots more granular e.g. mo-fr every two hours between 8am-6pm.

> Given the limitation is per directory, I'm currently trying this:
>
> / 1d 30d
> /foo 1h 48h
> /bar 1h 48h
>
> I forgot to activate the new schedules yesterday so I can't say whether
> it works as expected yet.

Please let me know if this works.

Thanks,
Tobias