Massive OMAP remediation

Hi All,

We have a RGW cluster running Luminous (12.2.11) that has one object with an extremely large OMAP database in the index pool. Listomapkeys on the object returned 390 Million keys to start. Through bilog trim commands, we’ve whittled that down to about 360 Million. This is a bucket index for a regrettably unsharded bucket. There are only about 37K objects actually in the bucket, but through years of neglect, the bilog grown completely out of control. We’ve hit some major problems trying to deal with this particular OMAP object. We just crashed 4 OSDs when a bilog trim caused enough churn to knock one of the OSDs housing this PG out of the cluster temporarily. The OSD disks are 6.4TB NVMe, but are split into 4 partitions, each housing their own OSD daemon (collocated journal).

We want to be rid of this large OMAP object, but are running out of options to deal with it. Reshard outright does not seem like a viable option, as we believe the deletion would deadlock OSDs can could cause impact. Continuing to run `bilog trim` 1000 records at a time has been what we’ve done, but this also seems to be creating impacts to performance/stability. We are seeking options to remove this problematic object without creating additional problems. It is quite likely this bucket is abandoned, so we could remove the data, but I fear even the deletion of such a large OMAP could bring OSDs down and cause potential for metadata loss (the other bucket indexes on that same PG).

Any insight available would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.