Re: For suggestions and best practices on expanding Ceph cluster and removing old nodes

Get on nautilus first and (perhaps even go to pacific) before expansion.
Primarily for the reason that starting  in nautilus degraded data recovery
will be prioritized over remapped data recovery. As you phase out old
hardware and phase in new hardware you will have a very large amount of
backfill happening and if you get into a degraded state in the middle of
this backfill it will take a much longer time for the degraded data to
become clean again.

Additionally, you will want to follow the best practice of updating your
cluster in order. In short monitors then managers then osds then MDS and
RGW then other clients. More details here:
https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/releases/nautilus/#upgrading-from-mimic-or-luminous

You dont want to run with a mixed software version cluster longer than a
well coordinated upgrade takes.

Respectfully,

*Wes Dillingham*
wes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx