Re: Veeam backups to radosgw seem to be very slow

>> We have a customer that tries to use veeam with our rgw objectstorage and
>> it seems to be blazingly slow.
>> What also seems to be strange, that veeam sometimes show "bucket does not
>> exist" or "permission denied".
>> I've tested parallel and everything seems to work fine from the s3cmd/aws
>> cli standpoint.
>> Does anyone here ever experienced veeam problems with rgw?
>
> Mostly the issue that if you do not set block sizes to a large value,
> it will create REALLY small files.
> If "problems" relates to "poor MB/s perf", then this could be it. TCP
> will not get up to any speed if you keep the S3 objects to very small
> sizes.
>
> Look at https://community.veeam.com/blogs-and-podcasts-57/sobr-veeam-capacity-tier-calculations-and-considerations-in-v11-2548
> for "extra large blocks" to make them 8M at least.
> We had one Veeam installation vomit millions of files onto our rgw-S3
> at an average size of 180k per object, and at those sizes, you will
> see very poor throughput and the many objs/MB will hurt all other
> kinds of performance like listing the bucket and so on.

Depending on the bucket pool and the size distribution, there could be significant space amp too.

A while back I looked at a cluster that was using Ceph's iscsi-gw as a destination for Veeam, they were experiencing very high latency, on the order of 100ms.  I wonder if a variant of this was in play.