Bucket sync policy

Hello ceph gurus,

We are trying bucket-specific sync policy feature with Quincy release and we encounter something strange. Our test setup is very simple. I use mstart.sh to spin up 3 clusters, configure them with a single realm, a single zonegroup and 3 zones – z0, z1, z2, with z0 being the master. I created a zonegroup-level sync policy with “allowed”, a symmetrical flow among all 3 zones and a pipe allowing all zones to all zones. I created a single bucket “test-bucket” at z0 and uploaded a single object to it. By now, there should be no sync since the policy is “allowed” only and I can see the single file only exist in z0 and “bucket sync status” shows the sync is actually disabled. Finally, I created a bucket-specific sync policy being “enabled” and a pipe between z0 and z1 only. I expected that sync should be kicked off between z0 and z1 and I did see from “sync info” that there are sources/dests being z0/z1. “bucket sync status” also shows the source zone and source bucket. At z0, it shows everything is caught up but at z1 it shows one shard is behind, which is expected since that only object exists in z0 but not in z1.

Now, here comes the strange part. Although z1 shows there is one shard behind, it doesn’t seem to make any progress on syncing it. It doesn’t seem to do any full sync at all since “bucket sync status” shows “full sync: 0/11 shards”. There hasn’t been any full sync since otherwise, z1 should have that only object. It is stuck in this condition forever until I make another upload on the same object. I suspect the update of the object triggers a new data log, which triggers the sync. Why wasn’t there a full sync and how can one force a full sync?

I also tried “sync error list” and they are all empty. I also tried to apply the fix in https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/57853, although I am not sure if it is relevant. The fix didn’t change the behavior that we observed. I also tried "bucket sync init" and "bucket sync run" via radosgw-admin. They don't seem to do what I expected. They simply mark z1 as not behind anymore but the single object still lives in z0 only.
I wonder how mature this sync policy feature is for production use.
Thanks,Yixin