Re: Some hint for a DELL PowerEdge T440/PERC H750 Controller...

Il giorno sab 15 apr 2023 alle ore 11:10 Marco Gaiarin <
gaio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> ha scritto:

> Sorry, i'm a bit puzzled here.
>
> Matthias suggest to enable write cache, you suggest to disble it... or i'm
> cache-confused?! ;-)
>

> There is a cache in each disk, and a cache in the controller.
The disk cache is:
- volatile, if power goes away content is lost (some nvme disks have PLP
that is a capacitor so cache in this case is not volatile)
- ecc only in sas disks
- needed for ssd (most ssd wear leveling algorithms have problems without
cache)

The controller cache:
- is not volatile, if the controller has BBU
- usually has ecc ram

Usually when you have a BBU raid controller you disable single disks cache
and keep only controller cache which is protected by battery.
Ceph experts tell  you to disable controller cache and raid but no one was
able to tell me what to do with disk cache:
- if you disable  it disk performance becomes very slow and you risk
problems in ssd
- if you enable it disk will lose content if power goes away.

Now ceph experts will tell you to buy only disks with PLP to solve the
problem... but hdds do not have plp (if you find an hdd with plp tell me I
will buy it)