EC profiles where m>k (EC 8+12)

Hi Ceph users!

I've been proposed an interesting EC setup I hadn't thought about before.

Scenario is : we have two server rooms and want to store ~4PiB with the ability to loose 1 server room without loss of data or RW availability.

For the context, performance is not needed (cold storage mostly, used as a big filesystem).

The idea is to use EC 8+12 over 24 servers (12 on each server room), so if we loose 1 room we still have half of the EC parts (10/20) and are able to loose 2 more servers before reaching the point where we loose data.

I find this pretty elegant when working on a two-sites context, as efficiency is 40% (better than 33% three times replication) and the redundancy is good.

What do you think of this setup ? Did you ever used EC profiles with M > K ?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Cheers,

Fabien