Re: Changing os to ubuntu from centos 8

Hi Istvan,

I currently make the move from centos7 to ubuntu18.04 (we want to jump
directly from nautilus to pacific), When everything in the cluster got the
same version, and the version is available on the new OS you can just
reinstall the hosts with the new OS.

With the mons, I remove the current mon from the list while reinstalling
and recreate the mon afterward, so I don't need to carry over any files.
With the OSD hosts I just set the cluster to "noout" and have the system
down for 20 minutes, which is about the time I require to install the new
OS and provision all the configs. Afterwards I just start all the OSDs
(ceph-volume lvm activate --all) and wait for the cluster to become green
again.

Cheers
 Boris

Am Di., 21. März 2023 um 08:54 Uhr schrieb Szabo, Istvan (Agoda) <
Istvan.Szabo@xxxxxxxxx>:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to change the os to ubuntu 20.04.5 from my bare metal deployed
> octopus 15.2.14 on centos 8. On the first run I would go with octopus
> 15.2.17 just to not make big changes in the cluster.
> I've found couple of threads on the mailing list but those were
> containerized (like: Re: Upgrade/migrate host operating system for ceph
> nodes (CentOS/Rocky) or  Re: Migrating CEPH OS looking for suggestions).
>
> Wonder what is the proper steps for this kind of migration? Do we need to
> start with mgr or mon or rgw or osd?
> Is it possible to reuse the osd with ceph-volume scan on the reinstalled
> machine?
> I'd stay with baremetal deployment and even maybe with octopus but I'm
> curious your advice.
>
> Thank you
>
> ________________________________
> This message is confidential and is for the sole use of the intended
> recipient(s). It may also be privileged or otherwise protected by copyright
> or other legal rules. If you have received it by mistake please let us know
> by reply email and delete it from your system. It is prohibited to copy
> this message or disclose its content to anyone. Any confidentiality or
> privilege is not waived or lost by any mistaken delivery or unauthorized
> disclosure of the message. All messages sent to and from Agoda may be
> monitored to ensure compliance with company policies, to protect the
> company's interests and to remove potential malware. Electronic messages
> may be intercepted, amended, lost or deleted, or contain viruses.

Die Selbsthilfegruppe "UTF-8-Probleme" trifft sich diesmal abweichend im
groüen Saal.