Re: increasing PGs OOM kill SSD OSDs (octopus) - unstable OSD behavior

Thanks a lot Josh. That really seems like my problem.
That does not look healthy in the cluster. oof.
~# ceph tell osd.* perf dump |grep 'osd_pglog\|^osd\.[0-9]'
osd.0: {
        "osd_pglog_bytes": 459617868,
        "osd_pglog_items": 2955043,
osd.1: {
        "osd_pglog_bytes": 598414548,
        "osd_pglog_items": 4315956,
osd.2: {
        "osd_pglog_bytes": 357056504,
        "osd_pglog_items": 1942486,
osd.3: {
        "osd_pglog_bytes": 436198324,
        "osd_pglog_items": 2863501,
osd.4: {
        "osd_pglog_bytes": 373516972,
        "osd_pglog_items": 2127588,
osd.5: {
        "osd_pglog_bytes": 335471560,
        "osd_pglog_items": 1822608,
osd.6: {
        "osd_pglog_bytes": 391814808,
        "osd_pglog_items": 2394209,
osd.7: {
        "osd_pglog_bytes": 541849048,
        "osd_pglog_items": 3880437,

Am Di., 21. Feb. 2023 um 18:21 Uhr schrieb Josh Baergen <
jbaergen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Hi Boris,
>
> This sounds a bit like https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/53729.
> https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/53729#note-65 might help you diagnose
> whether this is the case.
>
> Josh
>
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2023 at 9:29 AM Boris Behrens <bb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > today I wanted to increase the PGs from 2k -> 4k and random OSDs went
> > offline in the cluster.
> > After some investigation we saw, that the OSDs got OOM killed (I've seen
> > host that went from 90GB used memory to 190GB before OOM kills happen).
> >
> > We have around 24 SSD OSDs per host and 128GB/190GB/265GB memory in these
> > hosts. All of them experienced OOM kills.
> > All hosts are octopus / ubuntu 20.04.
> >
> > And on every step new OSDs crashed with OOM. (We now set the
> pg_num/pgp_num
> > to 2516 to stop the process).
> > The OSD logs do not show anything why this might happen.
> > Some OSDs also segfault.
> >
> > I now started to stop all OSDs on a host, and do a "ceph-bluestore-tool
> > repair" and a "ceph-kvstore-tool bluestore-kv compact" on all OSDs. This
> > takes for the 8GB OSDs around 30 minutes. When I start the OSDs I
> instantly
> > get a lot of slow OPS from all the other OSDs when the OSD come up (the
> 8TB
> > OSDs take around 10 minutes with "load_pgs".
> >
> > I am unsure what I can do to restore normal cluster performance. Any
> ideas
> > or suggestions or maybe even known bugs?
> > Maybe a line for what I can search in the logs.
> >
> > Cheers
> >  Boris

Die Selbsthilfegruppe "UTF-8-Probleme" trifft sich diesmal abweichend im
groüen Saal.