Re: Do not use SSDs with (small) SLC cache

Hey
I have seen that kind of behavior in the past and we manage to flash the
firmware to increase the cache size, which will kill the drive a little bit
faster so only to use in lab environments. I'm unaware if the Samsung
magician software can do that.
btw, a few evo's 9xx are listed by Samsung to receive upgrades or are
available for replacement because of firmware issues, I don't know the
exact list but the Samsung site for sure will have more information.

Cheers!

On Tue, Feb 21, 2023 at 10:23 AM Sven Kieske <S.Kieske@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm just writing to share some old knowledge, which is:
>
> never, ever use consumer ssd for ceph!
>
> see e.g.
> https://old.reddit.com/r/Proxmox/comments/izg6e5/questions_on_running_ceph_using_consumer_ssds/g6it9uv/
> --
> Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Regards
>
> Sven Kieske
> Systementwickler / systems engineer
>

> Mittwald CM Service GmbH & Co. KG
> Königsberger Straße 4-6
> 32339 Espelkamp
>
> Tel.: 05772 / 293-900
> Fax: 05772 / 293-333
>
> https://www.mittwald.de
>
> Geschäftsführer: Robert Meyer, Florian Jürgens
>
> St.Nr.: 331/5721/1033, USt-IdNr.: DE814773217, HRA 6640, AG Bad Oeynhausen
> Komplementärin: Robert Meyer Verwaltungs GmbH, HRB 13260, AG Bad Oeynhausen
>
> Informationen zur Datenverarbeitung im Rahmen unserer Geschäftstätigkeit
> gemäß Art. 13-14 DSGVO sind unter www.mittwald.de/ds abrufbar.

Alvaro Soto

*Note: My work hours may not be your work hours. Please do not feel the
need to respond during a time that is not convenient for you.*