Re: Very slow snaptrim operations blocking client I/O

I should have explicitly stated that during the recovery, it was still quite bumpy for customers. Some snaptrims were very quick, some took what felt like a really long time. This was however a cluster with a very large number of volumes and a long, long history of snapshots. I'm not sure what the difference will be from our case versus a single large volume with a big snapshot.

On 2023-01-28 20:45, Victor Rodriguez wrote:
On 1/29/23 00:50, Matt Vandermeulen wrote:
I've observed a similar horror when upgrading a cluster from Luminous to Nautilus, which had the same effect of an overwhelming amount of snaptrim making the cluster unusable.

In our case, we held its hand by setting all OSDs to have zero max trimming PGs, unsetting nosnaptrim, and then slowly enabling snaptrim a few OSDs at a time.  It was painful to babysit but it allowed the cluster to catch up without falling over.

That's an interesting approach! Thanks!

On preliminary tests seems that just running snaptrim on a single PG of a single OSD still makes the cluster barely usable. I have to increase osd_snap_trim_sleep_ssd to ~1 so the cluster remains usable by getting a third of its performance. After a while, a few PG got trimmed and feels like some of them are harder to trim than others, as some need a higher osd_snap_trim_sleep_ssd value to let the cluster perform.

I don't know how long this is going to take... Maybe recreating the OSD's and dealing with the rebalance is a better option?

There's something ugly going on here... I would really like to put my finger on it.